Hours per Week: 12 hours
Dates: June 22-Aug 21, 2020
Schedule: Monday, Wednesday, Friday 8 am - 12 pm
Compensation: Community service hours, work experience, possible letter of recommendation
The City of Lathrup Village Summer Leadership Academy will provide hands-on work experience for local high school underclassmen in a structured, supervised setting. Under the guidance and direction of an experienced adult instructor, students will complete daily park maintenance tasks and projects using a team approach. Weekly themes for learning will include topics such as professionalism, conflict resolution, writing for the workplace, taking initiative and career exploration. Academy learning techniques are discussion and action based.
The Parks & Recreation team members are responsible for carrying out supplemental landscaping and custodial services during the summer months related to the City of Lathrup Village parks, downtown corridor and Municipal Building.
Responsibilities to include:
- Provide light landscaping maintenance of Municipal Park, Annie Lathrup Park, Municipal Building grounds and other areas as needed (tree trimming, weed whacking, painting, cleaning picnic tables, etc.)
- Ensure outdoor garbage cans are emptied regularly
- Maintenance of flowers, plants and trees (weeding, watering)
- Setting up event signage
- Assistance set up/tear down for events as needed
- Additional responsibilities as assigned
- Students must be incoming 9th-11th grade students in Fall 2020
- Students must be able to work at least 8 of the 9 weeks
- Students must complete an application and interview. Interviews will take place on May 5.
- Guardian and student must attend one info session together and sign student rights & responsibilities document.
Applications accepted through close of business on Friday, April 17. All candidates will be contacted by May 1 regarding whether they were selected for an interview.
Space is very limited. Lathrup Village and Southfield residents will receive preference.Apply Here!
Lathrup Village has the best volunteers in the world! The Parks & Recreation department greatly appreciates all its volunteers and encourages you to get involved.
Volunteering is easy! No experience necessary, just a smile and a willingness to participate. You can choose what event you might be best suited for and enjoy!
If you are intersted in volunteering in any capacity, please fill out this quick form and we'll be in touch.
Community Service Credits
Volunteers earn community service credits for their work. These credits can be applied to rental of our facilities. General volunteers are credited at $10 per hour. To learn more about Community Service Credits, click here.
Types of Jobs
- Events: from setup and tear down to check-in tables and doing crafts, there's lots of jobs to do during events
- Recreation Advisory Committee: the RAC is seeking residents who want to be more involved in planning the direction of parks & recreation in Lathrup Village. To apply, click here.
- Internship: interns are needed year-round. If you are intersted in working behind-the-scenes in parks & recreation and can dedicate at least two days a week for a season, we'd love to have you help out as an intern. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.