Listed below is a universal locator for the HSI Victim Notification Program, which has a number of valuable victim services programs provided by ICE.
Each year, more than $1 billion in personal items and vehicle accessories are estimated to be stolen from vehicles in more than 2 million vehicle break-ins nationwide. The Lathrup Village Police Department offers the following tips to help reduce the chances of your vehicle being broken into:
- Don't leave ANY items in plain sight
- ALWAYS LOCK your doors and close your windows and sunroofs. Most vehicle break-ins happen to unlocked vehicles
- REMOVE GPS units, laptops, iPods, etc. when leaving your vehicle
- Place shopping bags or valuables in your trunk or out of sight
- If you leave your car in the driveway, take your garage door opener with you. That will help prevent the thief from getting access to your home
- Etch you driver's license number into all removable, valuable items (i.e. audio equipment, in-car DVD players, etc.)
- Don't leave your vehicle title in the vehicle; keep it at home in a safe place
- Install a vehicle alarm system
- Avoid parking in areas that hide your vehicle (i.e. between bigger vehicles, in dark/unlit areas, etc.)
- Always call 911 if you see someone acting suspiciously, looking into cars on your street, in a parking garage or lot, etc.
Fire Safety & Prevention